Absentee Voting Information
NOVEMBER 2, 2021 ELECTION
ELECTION FOR THE CITY COUNCIL, SCHOOL BOARD, PEAKS ISLAND COUNCIL, WATER DISTRICT TRUSTEE, AND CITY REFERENDUM
THE FOLLOWING SEATS WILL BE VOTED ON:
- District 1- City Council and School Board
- District 2- City Council and School Board
- At-Large- City Council and School Board
- Portland Water District Trustee
- Peaks Island Council
- As well as the City Referendum
REQUESTING AN ABSENTEE BALLOT
There are three ways to request a ballot:
- You can request an absentee ballot online here.
- You can call the City Clerk's office M-F from 9:00am to 4:30pm at 207-874-8677.
- You can complete a November 2, 2021 absentee ballot application and submit it by
- Mailing it to: City Clerk's Office 389 Congress Street, Portland ME 04101
- Fax it to: 207-874-8612
- Email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
IN-PERSON EARLY ABSENTEE VOTING
In-person absentee voting runs from October 4, 2021 through October 28, 2021 in the Clifford Richardson Room, Room 24 (basement level) of City Hall. Hours are Monday-Friday 9:00am to 4:30pm. The public must enter from the Myrtle Street entrance, and masks are required. On October 28 only, the Clerk's Office will remain open until 7:00 PM. This is the last day to absentee vote, unless you have an allowed special circumstance.
*Special Circumstances Absentee Voting*
The deadline to request an absentee ballot without a reason for the November 2021 Referendum Election is the close of business on Thursday, October 28th, 2021.
After this deadline, voters may request an absentee ballot by completing and signing a Special Circumstances Application.
On the application the voter must indicate which of the four allowable reasons to request an absentee ballot after the deadline applies to them, as follows:
1. Unexpected absence from the municipality during the entire time the polls are open on Election Day; or
2. Physical Disability; or
3. Incapacity or illness that has resulted in the voter being unable to leave home or a treatment facility; or
4. Inability to travel to the polls if the voter is a resident of a coastal island ward or precinct.
If you have any questions, please contact the Clerk's Office 207-874-8677 or the Maine Division of Elections at 207-624-7650
RETURNING AN ABSENTEE BALLOT
Ways to return your ballot:
- Mail your ballot back to City Hall 389 Congress Street
- Return to our 24-hour external drop box located at City Hall next to the Myrtle Street entrance.
Ballots are NOT to be returned to your polling location. Absentee ballots must be returned to City Hall by 8:00pm on election day to be processed and counted.
View it here