Marriage Licenses

Filing of Marriage Intentions

Residents of the state intending to be joined in marriage are required to record notice of their intentions in person (both parties must be present) in the office of the clerk of the municipality in which at least one of them resides. The parties must file the Intentions of Marriage Forms. In keeping with ongoing efforts to improve customer service, and in order to expedite the implementation of a new data entry process, the intentions forms should be filled out prior to 4:00 P.M. in the City of Portland Clerk's Office. Out-of-state residents may file their Intentions in any municipal office.

License Validity

This license is valid in any community in Maine for a period of 90 days from the date the intentions are filed.

Previous Marriages

If either party has been previously married, a certified copy of the divorce decree or death certificate must be presented to the clerk.
If you were divorced outside of the United States:
If your divorce decree is not in English, in addition to providing a certified copy of the original judgment, you must provide a notarized English translation of the judgement, done by a disinterested third party, such as a language translation service.

Marriage Ceremony Policy

If you are planning on getting married in City Hall, view the Marriage Policy.


For a Marriage Ceremony in the City Clerk's office, we recommend that you provide your own witnesses.


Marriage license - $40.
Marriage Ceremony, City Clerk's Office - $125
Certified Copies - $15 charge per copy for the first copy, and $6 for additional